Hi Gretchen and all!

We took a similar approach to what Alex is describing when building the
deliveries module for Nexudus. The biggest challenge was, as Alex said, the
OCR bit. This involved several trips to a recycling point to try to find as
many delivery labels of different layouts as possible, to build the
training data for the module. Fun day! :)

This is how we approached it:

1. You use the app to take a picture of the delivery note, make it as clear
as possible (rotate, crop and sharpen) and create the delivery record in
the system.

2. This is then converted to text (OCR) and matched against your member
database. In the back-end you can see which labels we managed to match and
which ones we didn't. You can choose a member at that point as you go
through the list. You don't do any of this on the phone itself as we found
it was easier and faster to do in a computer and ensures you can scan a
large volume of labels quickly and worry about the matching process later.

3. Once we have figured out who the delivery is for or if you have selected
a member, we send them an email notification (which you can also connect to
slack, zapier and usual suspects...). This also includes the picture of the
label.

4. Lastly, members can see all their deliveries from their account page. We
show status, whether they need to sign the delivery, who collected it where
in the build it is and the actual label again, in case they missed the
notification. This page also suggests members to use specific delivery
details, based on what we have in the database for them, so the automatic
matching process has the highest chance of finding them.

This is actually a free module so, if you didn't want to use Nexudus for
anything other than this, you could give it a go at no cost.

Happy to help anyone who is looking at building something like this. It was
a fun little project for us!