Katrina,

Keep browsing this group as there are many creative ideas around building
community and opening a space. A couple of things that have helped us get
off the ground.

   1. Obtain grant funding from an entity looking to support the "Creator
   Economy" so that you may make the case for economic development while
   supporting entrepreneurs and startups. Your local EDA and Chamber should be
   able to facilitate introductions.
   2. Find available space that a local business is not utilizing or
   underutilizing to get your feet under you and showcase a proof of concept
   for 12 months. Research has shown that most coworking spaces take 2 years
   to cash flow. Seek something that is rent free so that you can focus on
   building the community and introducing a space that meets your communities
   needs.

We secured a grant and an underutilized space for 1 year to demonstrate the
proof of concept while building buzz and attracting members.

Richard

PS. Run towards your Fears!

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 12:09 PM, Joshua Webb <jos...@growthli.com> wrote:

> Katrina
>
> Dont pay huge rent. It will take time to get going and you dont want to
> strangle your cash flow.
>
> Building owners want coworking spaces to keep their buildings full of
> Energy and young tenants. So most will work a deal. We only work with
> building owners who will do what's call a percentage lease. We pay them
> when we get paid. Also known as a revenue split.
>
> Happy to hop on a call and share what we have learned.
>
> Joshua Webb
>
> Founder at Growthli
>
> 844-455-GROW (4769)
> Https://Growthli.com
>
> © Growthli | A Place To Learn, Grow, & Office™
>
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2018, 7:15 AM Katrina Dye <katrina...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Excited to put my ideas into action and pioneer the first ever Co-working
>> space in Alexandria, LA.  We are perfectly located and there is nothing
>> here like this today which I think is a big advantage.  The challenge in
>> this area is finding my market when I have been working from home for so
>> long!  I've met with the Economic Development Center, Chamber of Commerce,
>> and Small Business Development Center and I've received GREAT feedback.
>> I turned to social media exposing my vision and am fearful the local
>> business folks I've shared my idea with jump to it before I can get it off
>> the ground.  Any recommendations?  As soon as I start talking about it,
>> they seem clueless, follow up conversations become something more like, "I
>> was also thinking of this"
>>
>> I don't want to rush the process!  How can I grow my interest, and
>> identify my market without losing valuable time.  Great spaces, but the
>> rent is ridiculous!
>>
>> Anxiously, terrified!
>>
>> Katrina :)

Richard Stuart