So, two things:

*First, $17-20k to outfit a 800 square foot space is absolutely
unnecessary.* It sounds like you're talking to someone who does corporate
space planning + design, and their budgets generally start around there.

But for a small coworking space (we started with ~1200 square feet), it
just doesn't make sense. You can do so much with simple DIY options and a
little bit of creativity. Don't be afraid of home finishes (so long as they
aren't junky) - I'm always looking for ways to mix the things that make
homes cozy with the things that make a workplace productive. We pulled off
our original fit out for under $2k worth of desks, chairs, etc. Just the
necessities, then add niceties later and make it a constant collaborative
improvement process *with* your members.

*Second, I think your pricing model needs work ;)* I'm not sure how you
came up with your price points, but they seem *very* low and if you're
scratching your head about sustainability...they are way too low.

My approach to figuring out a sustainable pricing model is to work
backwards from a monthly and annual budget, and then divide by the number
of members are realistic, to find the price point needed for
profitability.  Remember that you won't be 100% occupied all the time, and
that full time desks + day passes aren't the only options
<https://dangerouslyawesome.com/2015/10/the-ultimate-guide-to-structuring-your-coworking-space-memberships/>
.

Flip your approach around and I think you'll find a simple, sustainable way
to make this work!

-Alex

*The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.*
Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org
Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com
My Audiobook: https://theindyhallway.com/ten