On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 6:20 AM, Slaven Rezic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > I thought the presence of:
>  >
>  > configure_requires:
>  >   Imager: 0.54
>  > build_requires:
>  >   Imager: 0.54
>  >   Test::More: 0.47
>  >
>  > Was meant to prevent this sort of failure?
>  >

>  Correct, but CPAN.pm needs either YAML.pm or YAML::Syck to be able to
>  parse the META.yml. As you see from the report, neither is installed
>  on David's machine.
>  [snip]
>  There's YAML::Tiny however, which probably works with older perls and
>  is meant to be easily embedded in other modules, but it does not
>  support the full set of YAML. The META.yml specification does not
>  forbid to use YAML constructs which are not parsable by YAML::Tiny.

I think this is something to discuss with Andreas (copying him on this
emaijl).  If we want people to use configure_requires and not just get
annoyed with it, then I think that CPAN.pm needs to cope with YAML.  I
think Adam K wrote Parse::CPAN::Meta with just the parser part of
YAML::Tiny for this purpose. It probably needs to be required by or
bundled with CPAN.pm.

>  Maybe a perliminary solution would be some sort of heuristics for
>  CPAN::Reporter or CPAN.pm: if the result is "PL FAIL" and no YAML
>  module is installed (i.e. $CPAN::META->has_inst($yaml_module) returns
>  false) and there's a META.yml available in the distribution and it
>  contains the string "configure_requires" (not parsing it, just doing a
>  grep), then DISCARD the report.

I cringe in horror at the thought -- but concede that you're probably
right.  Putting it in the "bug" section of the Todo list now.

David