One of my herd of killer robots wrote:

> Running make test
> PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/local/home/david/cpantesting/perl-5.10.0/bin/perl
>   "-Iblib/lib" "-Iblib/arch" test.pl
> 1..4
> ok 1
> ok 2
> not ok 3
> ok 4
> (/usr/local/bin/make test exited with 0)
> CPAN::Reporter: Test result is 'pass', 'make test' no errors.
> CPAN::Reporter: preparing a CPAN Testers report for Rstat-Client-2.2
> CPAN::Reporter: sending test report with 'pass' to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>   ISAACSON/Rstat-Client-2.2.tar.gz
> /usr/local/bin/make test -- OK

I take it that we would say that the test.pl is faulty here, in that it
exits with a 0 status despite a test failing.  However, I betcha that
there are *lots* of test.pl files out there that suffer from this - I
know mine did when I used them - so would it be worthwhile for
CPAN::Reporter etc to check whether it really is a pass?

This could be done with a simple heuristic - if:
  * test.pl exists and t/ doesn't; and
  * the exit status was 0; and
  * /^not ok /;
then turn the test result into UNKNOWN or discard it.

I have also notified the author of this bogus pass, and asked him to CC
this 'ere list if he replies.

I hate baby seals.  They get asked to all the best clubs.