On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 06:15:28PM -0400, David Golden wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 6:05 PM, David Cantrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  I take it that we would say that the test.pl is faulty here, in that it
> >  exits with a 0 status despite a test failing.  However, I betcha that
> >  there are *lots* of test.pl files out there that suffer from this - I
> >  know mine did when I used them - so would it be worthwhile for
> >  CPAN::Reporter etc to check whether it really is a pass?

There ARE lots and many are for old releases that have been updated in a
long time.

> I would rather see test.pl added as a negative Kwalitee score and
> manage it that way.

DG++

I think there was some discussion regards this very point a while back,
but I don't think it ever got implemented.

> Trying to "guess" at the intent of tests is a mess.

Nail on the head.

> We have enough heuristics as is -- there is a
> well defined -- if poorly understood -- convention that test.pl should
> report success or failure with its exit code.  We should leave it at
> that.

Agreed.

We should recommend people use the Test::Simple and friends, with a t/
directory, but second guessing what should be the result is going to be
a headache and a half. Have you seen the TAP discussions laterly?

Cheers,
Barbie.
--
Birmingham Perl Mongers - http://birmingham.pm.org