On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 6:30 AM, Martin Evans <martin.ev...@easysoft.com>wrote:

> I didn't get the impression this person was doing a single report - he is
> 16th on the leader board of test submissions. If the C compiler is not set
> up properly (and see below because I did not generate the compiler error) he
> could generate thousands of UNKNOWN for any module that has XS - does not
> seem any point in that.

There's a debate at the moment on #p5p about whether it's an error to have
$Config{cc} and not have the named compiler.  If so, every AS perl is
"broken".

There *is* a point -- it's how well does a distribution that requires a
compiler deal with the situation where a compiler doesn't exist.  Does it
die with a reasonable error to a user?  Or does it fail with something
unintelligible.  It's just a prerequisite like any other.

> In this case, the "UNKNOWN" result is correct (in the new definition of
> it).  The build failed and tests could not be run, thus the result of tests
> is unknown.  Your error message is very descriptive -- I think it's perhaps
> the best Makefile.PL error message I've ever seen.
>
> That error did not come from me - I think it may have come from
> ExtUtils::MakeMaker but I'm not sure.

I meant the long text from Makefile.PL about running the VCVARS32.bat file
and so on.  You're being very prescriptive about how to get the compiler set
up correctly.  I think that's awesome.

-- David

<davi...@cpan.org>