On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 06:55:00AM -0500, David Golden wrote:

> There's a debate at the moment on #p5p about whether it's an error to have
> $Config{cc} and not have the named compiler.  If so, every AS perl is
> "broken".

As is perl as distributed by Debian, Redhat and no doubt others, as you
can install them without installing a compiler.  You can even install a
*different* compiler, such as icc or Sun's cc instead of gcc, or gcc
instead of MIPSpro on Irix, or ...

%Config tells you how perl was built.  Using it to find out what the
current environment is can be at best a guide.  That's why
Devel::CheckLib (for example) looks for $Config{cc} and checks to see
if it actually exists.

Also note that $Config{cc} might be something like "ccache blah" where
blah is the compiler and ccache some species of wrapper.  Both of them
seperate executables, there is no file called "ccache blah" and trying
to exec() it will fill your computer with suffering and woe.
Devel::CheckLib knows about that too :-) although it doesn't check that
the second word is also executable - perhaps I should special-case
ccache and have it do that too.

So I suppose there might be a bug, but given that it's possible to build
perl and have $Config{cc} come out the end set as "ccache gcc", then the
bug is in the perl build process.

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

There is no one true indentation style,
But if there were K&R would be Its Prophets.
Peace be upon Their Holy Beards.