David Golden <xda...@gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Phillip Moore
> <w.phillip.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> However, is this the only solution? Is there any way to convince
>> PAUSE that those older module versions didn't matter?
>
> No.  I'm pretty sure versions have to increase.  However, you could
> try *deleting* all the modules/distributions from CPAN, waiting until
> it clears out of the 02packages file, and then re-uploading with all
> 2.003 VERSION strings.  That might work, or might not, but I don't
> think you lose anything other than time by trying it.

Just to clarify on that 'might work': Yes, it works, but you definitely
need to wait until it was deleted (~2 days). Otherwise you might need to
explicitely reindex those lower numbers in PAUSE.

> Note that people with older versions installed might have trouble
> upgrading without a forced installation of a particular distribution.
> The most user-friendly thing to do is to bump up to NNN.0001 or
> whatever.

Increasing it will also avoid oneself's own confusion once you hit again
those large version number you deleted and forgot about in the meantime
and are forbidden to upload the same version number several years in the
future again.

Kind regards,
Steffen
--