On Jun 2, 2012, at 9:24 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

>> You know I wrote something like this, right?
>>
>>  http://pgxn.org/
>
> For sure!  And since you are a fellow Apache Lucy developer, you may have
> recognized the system I referenced as Clownfish[1].

No. I though Clownfish was a thing for integrating C code with a dynamic
language, not a module distribution platform.

> PGXN and Clownfish are both off-topic for cpan-testers-discuss, except that
> perhaps in this case it might be nice to hear about any experiences with PGXN
> and distro-vs-sub-distro dependency specification that would help us to
> understand the design tradeoffs better, and ultimately to develop best
> practice guidelines for CPAN authors and users.  Got anything for us?

PGXN allows extensions to have version independent of the distribution version.
Even those most distributions so far have only one extension, many already have
variance between distribution and extension versions:

  http://pgxn.org/dist/twitter_fdw
  http://pgxn.org/dist/semver/

The reason for this is that often an individual extension does not change at
all, so it's not worth it to bump its version, because, for PostgreSQL
extension support, that would mean that people would be forced to upgrade for
no reason (much more of a deal for a persistent database than for an in-memory
language). It also means that authors would have to write upgrade scripts that
do nothing and include them in the distribution (and their repos). Easier to
just to allow there to be a divergence.

So I think it depends on the platform. I personally strongly prefer to have the
version in all modules match the distribution version in my Perl modules. But
obviously there are disadvantages to that for PostgreSQL extensions. Maybe
there would be for your thing, too. Or maybe not, since I am ignorant of your
plans so far.

Best,

David