On 3 May 2015 at 10:34, Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagalt...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Essentially the only sane thing is to declare dependencies on both of
> the ecosystems. Then you can also run your tests against each of them.

There's a few things here that also need to be thought about, and that's
the future of merge/split packaging.

It is suggested that at one future point $SYSTEM2 and $SYSTEM1 may ship
together.

There are benefits to that, and there are downsides.

I imagine the prime rationale for merging is not because there's a benefit
in merging, but because that will get the modules in perl itself
classification. Merging just to ship with perl I'd say is a bad idea.

Especially if we hope to *ever* ( talking 20 years maybe ) decide $SYSTEM2
to be better than $SYSTEM1 and eventually get it out of perl. ( I'm not
saying that will ever happen, its just something to think about )

Coupling what may one day be branded "legacy" with "the new system" seems
like a logical regression of some kind to me today.

--
Kent

*KENTNL* - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL