>> PAUSE doesn’t (currently) know the river position, but if it published
>> a feed of deletion-schedulings, then some third-party agent could
>> monitor the feed and check for dists that are on river. I think those
>> are the dists that should be alerted to modules@ […] Obviously the
>> issue here is DarkPAN: a dist might not have any CPAN dependents, but
>> may be used plenty out in the big bad world. That’s a separate problem
>> :-)
>
> I don’t think so. Plack::Middleware::Rewrite is used by a ton of people
> and klaxons certainly ought to ring if I ever opened up that namespace.
> The number of on-CPAN dependents is just 3 though.

The key word in what I said was *any*. I think even 3 dependents should klaxon.
Plus having any favourites on CPAN should also prompt the klaxon as well: I use
favourites as a proxy for “has dependents” in both the adoption list and
weighting dists for the PRC, and it seems to work.

I still think we need a service where you can say “I’m using this dist”. I
think I’ll add that feature to the dashboard, which I’ll be working on at the
QAH.

Neil