David wrote:

> ...Phillip H. Zakas wrote:
> >...govt. employees aren't subject to
> >lawsuits because of their official
> >acts.
>
> If they're violating your rights under
> color of authority, they do have
> criminal penalties.

Yes, criminal AND civil.  The civil statute is USC title 42, section 1984.
I don't remember the criminal statute off hand, but it's not nearly as
useful as the civil anyway.  Criminal charges must be proven "beyond a
reasonable doubt," whereas in criminal cases the standard is "by the
preponderance of the evidence."  (For you engineering types, that's "98% vs.
51%.")

> If they're just 'following their orders',
> they're not responsible.

That's not what the Nürnberg trials said...

> That's why legislators ought to be held
> responsible for unconstitutional laws.

Well, that wouldn't hurt either.  :-D

 S a n d y