> Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 17:23:36 -0500 (CDT)
> I thought they were going to release the details and do a public
> standard?  Where are the details?
>
> Is there any interest in putting together a little research group?
>
> Here's what I think the basic requirements would be:

I think that would be a fantastic, wonderful idea.  We need voice
encryption.  Voice encryption seems to be cursed.  There have always
been projects for it, but it has never happened as far as I know.  The
project dies, or it is untrustable for some reason (uses a proprietary
cipher, etc).

There was a project that was very similar to what you describe, called
the Harmless Little Board (do a search).  It looked like a great
project, they had stuff working, but it's been dead for a while I
think.  Maybe it could be revived?  I think they had an excellent
approach, and if I had the money right now, I would hire someone to
finish it out.

There's also the SpeakFreely software, which I have used, and which I
think is quite good, but I'm not sure if it's still in active
development, and there isn't a good Linux version I don't think.

Fortunately, starting one of these projects up again should be very
easy now.  You could essentially buy a full-featured PC type computer
in a tiny box (there's one called Capuccino and some others) and just
do it all in software.  It has a modem on one side, and it has
headphone/mic jacks on the other side.  It violates your idea of "bump
in the cord" but basically you could do the entire thing in software,
just by writing the right kind of glue for the existing Linux version
of SpeakFreely.

When I have time I'm going to do something like this.  But I have
other things going on now...