The Times of India reported yesterday that "Community radio may get a new
lease of
life<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Community-radio-may-get-a-new-lease-of-life/articleshow/16483200.cms>"
as the telecom ministry is likely to waive the spectrum fee for CR
stations. ToI reports
today<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Community-radio-under-threat-as-govt-mulls-auctioning-spectrum/articleshow/16497852.cms>,
"in what could prove to be a death-blow for the fledgling community radio
industry, the telecom ministry is examining whether spectrum for them
should be auctioned."

Evidently, the Times is as clueless as the rest of us regarding the Telecom
Ministry's intentions.

I wish Mr. Sibal luck in auctioning CR spectrum in those parts of India
where we are most eager to encourage community radio, like the North East,
Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Orissa, J&K, our island territories and rural
India in general, especially those remote areas where commercial FM
networks do themselves serious injury in their frantic attempts to buy
radio spectrum.

Sajan

Community radio under threat as govt mulls auctioning
spectrum<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Community-radio-under-threat-as-govt-mulls-auctioning-spectrum/articleshow/16497852.cms>
Himanshi Dhawan, TNN | Sep 22, 2012

NEW DELHI: In what could prove to be the deathblow for the fledgling
community radioindustry, the telecom ministry is examining whether spectrum
for them should be auctioned. The ministry has, in fact, stopped giving
clearances for community radio projects as a result of which 166
applications have been pending for the past nine months. The ministry's
reluctance comes following the Supreme Court order in the 2G spectrum case.

Sources said there was concern in the government that the auction route
would effectively strangle the nascent industry that continues to struggle
for stable financial resources.

There are 140 community radio stations in the country, predominantly run by
educational institutions, small communities, NGOs and in some cases even
gram panchayats.

According to sources, the wireless planning and coordination (WPC)
department of the telecom ministry had stopped providing clearances to
community radio applications for the last nine months. A source said,
"There are 166 applications pending with WPC and the I&B ministry is unable
to issue any new permission because of this." There are 267 applications
pending at various stages currently.

It is also learnt that the WPC wing had kept all matters relating to the
use of spectrum on hold after the SC decision in the 2G case. The WPC wing
is learnt to be examining whether spectrum for community radio should be
auctioned.

According to the I&B ministry, community radio has played an important role
and has been instrumental in conveying the Indian government's development
schemes and providing access to media-dark areas. Several successful
experiments of mobilizing local communities for encouraging local dialects,
projects and conveying government messages have been documented in recent
years. However, the proposal to auction spectrum for community radio will
effectively end the project's progress.

However, the telecom ministry has relented and is likely to waive off
spectrum fees that had been hiked from Rs 19,000 to Rs 93,000 recently. The
hike in spectrum fee was met with protests from the community radio
industry which even met telecom minister Kapil Sibal to register their
opposition. This was followed by a letter recommending a rollback from I&B
secretary U K Varma to the telecom secretary.

Community radio may get a new lease of
life<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Community-radio-may-get-a-new-lease-of-life/articleshow/16483200.cms>
TNN | Sep 21, 2012

NEW DELHI: The telecom ministry is likely to waive off spectrum fee for
community radio stations following demands for a rollback from information
and broadcasting (I&B) ministry and community radio (CR) organizations. The
spectrum fee is a prohibitive Rs 93,000 for a year.

According to sources, the issue of the high spectrum fee was raised by I&B
ministerAmbika Soni with telecom minister Kapil Sibalon Thursday pressing
the point that the fee would have damaging repercussions on the
government's development agenda.

The telecom ministry had recently increased fee for community radio
stations by five times from Rs 19,000 to Rs 93,000, sparking protests from
those running CR projects.

I&B secretary U K Varma had written to the telecom secretary saying that
the ministry's views were not sought before the decision was taken.

"This five-fold increase in spectrum fee would have a crippling impact on
the growth of community radio stations in India as many organizations would
find it impossible to meet this huge increase in royalty charges," the
letter written to telecom secretary R Chandrashekhar had said.

The ministry has so far given 370 permissions to various NGOs, Krishi
Vigyan Kendra and recognized educational institutions. Around 132 CR
stations are operational in the country.

The high spectrum fee has been a huge discouraging factor for those CR
stations that has been struggling for finances to sustain the model.
Community Radio Association members, including MKSS's Aruna Roy, has also
been demanding a rollback of spectrum fee.
Join the Community Radio Forum. For membership details, please go to
www.crforum.in