From: cidoc-bo...@googlegroups.com <cidoc-bo...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of
Martin Doerr <mar...@ics.forth.gr>
Sent: 09 November 2019 22:11
To: crm-sig; cidoc-bo...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Siegfried Krause

Dear Colleagues,

It is with deep sorrow that I have to inform you about the sudden loss of Dr.
Siegfried Krause, IT Referent of the Germanische Nationalmuseum of Nuremberg
and longstanding member of CIDOC and CRM-SIG. He passed away this Friday, Nov.
8 2019, in his home in the village Lyttos in Crete, suddenly without previous
illness, in the middle of an active life, just two weeks after participating in
the last CRM_SIG meeting in Heraklion.

We have Siegfried Krause in high esteem as a personal friend, a good colleague
and scholar. He was one of the founding members of the CIDOC CRM Special
Interest Group. We value his distinct contributions and his deep understanding
of the practical IT requirements of research in the cultural-historical domain.

His work substantially contributed to the quality and increasing application
the CIDOC CRM enjoys world-wide. He has translated the CIDOC CRM to German,
together with late Karl-Heinz Lampe and me. He has developed, together with the
University of Erlangen, one of the most important reference implementations of
the CIDOC CRM, the WissKi system, probably the first Knowledge Representation
platform that is in practice used for the integrated management of multiple
scholarly research projects from the beginning of the research process and
continues to be used.

He was the local organizer of the CIDOC Annual Conference 1997, Nuremberg,
Germany and has been chair of the Semantic Research Environments Working Group
of CIDOC, which builds on the experience with the WissKi system.
Our team at ICS-FORTH has been enjoying a continued and intensive scientific
collaboration with Siegfried's team since the year 2000.

His sudden passing away constitutes a great loss, personally and
professionally, an interruption of promising activities, but before all a great
hardship for his family.

Siegfried Krause had strong emotional ties to the island of Crete, beginning as
young archaeologist, and thus happened to end his life in an environment he
loved.

We offer our sincere condolences to his wife and his family,

Martin Doerr

--
------------------------------------
 Dr. Martin Doerr

 Honorary Head of the
 Center for Cultural Informatics

 Information Systems Laboratory
 Institute of Computer Science

 N.Plastira 100, Vassilika Vouton,
 GR70013 Heraklion,Crete,Greece

 Vox:+30(2810)391625
 Email: mar...@ics.forth.gr<mailto:mar...@ics.forth.gr>
 Web-site: http://www.ics.forth.gr/isl

cidoc-board+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<mailto:cidoc-board+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cidoc-board/3074744e-136d-b486-a2b5-f3e31f0ea299%40ics.forth.gr<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cidoc-board/3074744e-136d-b486-a2b5-f3e31f0ea299%40ics.forth.gr?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.