On 29/11/2014 10:27 μμ, Stephen Stead wrote:

Martin

The problem probably lies in the word “Collection”! Everyone reads that and thinks that the defining characteristic is the act of collecting rather than the true differentiator which is the curation.

Perhaps changing the name to “E78 Curated Set” would solve the problem. Nobody would know what it meant and so would read the scope note!!!!

TTFN

SdS

Stephen Stead

Tel +44 20 8668 3075

Mob +44 7802 755 013

E-mail ste...@paveprime.com <mailto:ste...@paveprime.com>

LinkedIn Profile http://uk.linkedin.com/in/steads

*From:*Crm-sig [mailto:crm-sig-boun...@ics.forth.gr] *On Behalf Of *martin
*Sent:* 29 November 2014 19:07
*To:* crm-sig@ics.forth.gr
*Subject:* Re: [Crm-sig] A hoard as crm:E78_Collection ?

Continuing:

I don't know, why E78 Collection attracts so much attention. The scope note of
E19 Physical Object says:

"The class also includes all aggregates of objects made for functional purposes of whatever kind, independent of physical coherence, such as a set of chessmen. Typically, instances of E19 Physical Object can be moved (if not too heavy)."

The CRM is not a terminological system to classify things. It is made to provide relevant properties. We should only use a more specific class, if we expect the respective additional properties to be relevant for querying. To say that an E19 "has type: Hoard" should be enough. Only if we want to specify a curator and an E87 Curation Activity with a curation plan, using E78 Collection would be adequate. The less classes we use, the more effective the queries.

Best,

Martin