On 07/02/2015 09:42, Øyvind Eide wrote:
Dear Richard, and all,

To try to clarify in the light of the morning, there are (as I see it) two separate issues:

1. A simplification of the scope notes for E91 Co-Reference Assignment. This is a topic of the meeting next week. It would be good if you could comment if:

a) the changes in scope notes introduces any new problems or solves old problems
b) there are problems in E91 which was not solved by the proposed changes.

2. A document about (co)referencing. I would surely be happy to discuss that (at length!) but it is kept outside of CRM on purpose. It is a discussion document, not a part of the standard. Once finalised, it could be referred to from the standard if we so wish. As you can see it is still in draft form.
Hi,

While the document is indeed separate, a key conclusion from it is included within the revised E91 scope notes:

The use of /P155 has co-reference target/ is limited to entities within the knowledge base in which the E91 Co-Reference Assignment is found. This is because the E91 Co-Reference Assignment is making explicit the world view of the E39 Actor carrying out the assignment and this world view is expressed as such only within that specific knowledge base.

I'm not clear at what level of abstraction we are meant to interpret this statement. The CRM is meant to be "a formal ontology which can be expressed in terms of logic or a suitable knowledge representation language". So presumably "knowledge base" in the above text is meant in an equally abstract sense. Surely, in that abstract sense, every assertion that any Actor makes ought to be expressed in terms which they understand, i.e. terms from within their "specific knowledge base". Otherwise they are just blathering on about stuff of which they know naught. And if all we are saying is that assertions should relate to entities which fall within the knowledge base of the Actor making them, then why is that so particularly true of co-reference assignments that the point has to be laboured here? Why is it less true of, say, Type Assignment?

If, on the other hand, this statement is meant to be about Semantic Web systems, then (a) I would probably still disagree with the need for it, but (b) I would argue that it is out of scope in the core CRM document.

Richard

Also remember the construct:

E89 Propositional Object —> P67 refers to (is referred to by) —> E1 CRM Entity

which can be used for reference without the co. The latter will easily introduce implicit co-reference. E91 is for explicit co-reference. I would be happy to go on about the difference (and can do it if it helps) but now my train is arriving and I have to do other things.

I hope this helps to focus the disagreements,

Øyvind