Dear all,

This was an interesting read. I have a question:

I do not understand the logic of the last paragraph in page 2. First they talk
about

[1] “a specific time period in which and only in which objects of a given type
have been created”

and then they go on to talk about

[2] no finds from other periods.

[2] is much weaker than [1] but is seems to me that [2] is still used as
evidence for [1]. I do not argue that is wrong to use it as evidence (there are
never proofs in heritage based research of this kind) but I fail to see how it
can be seen as a closed world assumption — that is pretty strong.

I think it is a good choice to model it as an implicit restriction, though; the
modelling looks fine. It is more the use of “closed world” I wonder about.

As for the choice between modelling of periods as timespans or periods I think
this feeds well into the discussion we have on space-time modelling and this
document will be useful for the discussions in Prato.

Regards,

Øyvind