Dear Wolfgang,

My opinion to your questions:

Is it more precise to model the sum of periods as a timespan or a period itsself?

It is more precise to model it as a period, in case this period has a common unity criterion. It is equally more precise to model it as a spacetime volume, but RDF has no construct to describe that an STV is exactly the sum of a set of components. The same holds for periods.

How should a hiatus be expressed then? So the stopped and later on picked up
usage of the same object. As a second timespan / period attached to the appearance of an object?

I think it needs a negative property. To be discussed with Carlo Meghini.

• Relation of Types and objects that refer to that type: Is it important to have at least
  one object for a “appears in” assignment to refer to.

Well, yes for capturing the argument. If the object is described, the "appears in" could be inferred.

I think a "restricted to" would be a good property. It is more than the sum of "appears in". It requires an argument of having sufficiently dense observation at other times and sites, or historical sources.

All the best,

Martin