I was about to write that "It's more complicated than that", but you got
there first.
Also your comments over-simplify :-)

The good thing about personal property and intellectual property is that at
least they're not real property. That's where things really get confused.

BTW, it is not always possible to treat ownership by more than one legal
persons as if they were a single entity. The rights of the parties may
differ in different situations.