Dear Athina,

I have not moved beyond the article (thanks for posting it, it is a very useful
addition to other complex land right issues!) but by reading that it seems like
the river has the right of a legal person, not an individual. Is that right? If
so, the river can be seen as an organisation, in line with the (and connected
to) a group of people (the Whanganui iwi). Or it can be seen as an organisation
connected to the two guardians, who will speak on behalf of the legal person
(the river).

Can this be seen as similar to, for instance, a trust? Then a lawyer appointed
to speak on behalf of the trust would be in line with the two guardians of the
river.

All the best,

Øyvind