Dear Martin and Franco,

here it is perhaps relevant that we (Tymon de Haas and me, working on the
fieldwalking extension to CRMarchaeo) have decided that surface finds
should be regarded as objects contained in a stratigraphical unit
(typically, the unit 'plough layer'), hence not 'on' the surface of that
unit.
I cannot think of any truly 2D surface features, what would be an example
of them? A soil mark feature on an airphoto perhaps? But there would be an
inferred 3D feature causing that....

Martijn