(resending--listserv said too long)​

From: Pat Riva

Sent: May 14, 2018 10:57 PM
To: Martin Doerr; crm-sig@ics.forth.gr
Subject: Re: [Crm-sig] ISSUE: E74 Group (from LRMoo discussions)

Hello all,

We can certainly consider the option of creating an LRMoo class to correspond
to LRM-E8 Collective Agent, and having that be a subclass of E74 Group. This
new LRMoo class would be a superclass of F11 Corporate Body and fit in the
hierarchy between E74 and F11.

With this solution, the characteristics of having a specific name, and
sufficient organizational characteristics so as to exert responsibility for
works, expressions, manifestations would be characteristics of the new LRMoo
class, not of E74. This would work fine for LRMoo.

In FRBRoo we have F11 Corporate Body as a superclass of E40 Legal Body. LRM-E8
Collective Agent is a superclass of F11. I have no problem in maintaining those
levels in LRMoo. I personally don't think it is necessary to broaden E40 at
all, and it would be a big step to broaden sufficiently it to encompass LRM-E8.​

Where I continue to have a problem is in the hierarchy above E74. E74 Group is
supposed to be a subclass of E39 Actor. But it does not seem to me that all
instances allowed as instances of E74 are in fact instances of E39. I agree
that this is a problem, and I can't see any way to fix it that does not
introduce some sort of backwards incompatibility. Either we narrow E74 so that
it can remain a subclass of E39 (causing a potential issue for some instances
previously recognized in E74), or we say that E74 is NOT a subclass of E39 any
more, causing a whole bunch of other backwards compatibility issues. Or the
third option is that we broaden E39 Actor enough that E74 can stay as its
subclass (and as a result LRM-R6 Agent would NOT be equal to E39), but I think
that is also not backwards compatible and would have an impact on some
properties.

For the LRM mapping, the start of this issue, if we go with the third solution,
we have LRM-R6 Agent as a subclass of the broader E39 Actor (not its equal),
and then LRM-E8 Collective Agent is a subclass of E74 Group. Then we would
declare LRMoo classes for these two LRM entities.

In a solution where LRM-E8 is not equal to E74, then we only need to account
for the LRM property LRM-R30 (Agent is member of/has member Collective Agent)
in LRMoo, not in CRM. It then no longer matters whether we discuss E74 Groups
that have other E74 Groups as members.

Pat

Pat Riva

Associate University Librarian, Collection Services

Concordia University

Vanier Library (VL-301-61)

7141 Sherbrooke Street West

Montreal, QC H4B 1R6