Dear all,

With the usual apologies for possibly having misunderstood or missed
something. I propose that the scope note of E29 Design or Procedure
changes from:

"... In particular it comprises plans for deliberate human activities
that may result in the modification or production of instances of *E24
Physical Thing*..."

to:

"... In particular it comprises plans for deliberate human activities
that may result in new instances of *E71 Man-Made Thing or E7 Activity*..."

Reason for including E7:

One of the current examples under E29 is:

"the musical notation for Beethoven’s “Ode to Joy”"

I do not see how the musical notation can result in the production of a
physical thing. Also I think it is a contradiction to "P33 used specific
technique" for which the domain is E7 Activity (and also to F25
Performance Plan which is a sub-class of E29 Design or Procedure).

Reason for including E71:

Consider the example of using a digital camera. I setup the camera
following instructions. But when I shoot the image (as explained in
CRMdig) I create a new information object and not a physical thing.

Note: The current scope note says "may", but I take this to mean that a
physical thing may or may not be produced, and not that it may or may
not be a physical thing (i.e. to be something entirely different).

All the best,

Thanasis
This email and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this
email and/or its attachments you must not take any action based upon them and
you must not copy or show them to anyone. Please send the email back to us and
immediately and permanently delete it and its attachments. Where this email is
unrelated to the business of University of the Arts London or of any of its
group companies the opinions expressed in it are the opinions of the sender and
do not necessarily constitute those of University of the Arts London (or the
relevant group company). Where the sender's signature indicates that the email
is sent on behalf of UAL Short Courses Limited the following also applies: UAL
Short Courses Limited is a company registered in England and Wales under
company number 02361261. Registered Office: University of the Arts London, 272
High Holborn, London WC1V 7EY