Dear All,

Firstly, apologies, the RDF was wrong, it was intended to be P1 is superproperty of rdfs:label.

Semantically, the range of rdfs:label, when used, is ontologically an Appellation in the sense of the CRM.

I agree with George, that all RDF nodes should have a human readable label. They name the thing, even if it is a technical node. I would find it confusing to say, labels are not to be queried, only to be read, and the "real" names must have a URI,
regardless weather I have more to say about it.

I am really not a fan of punning, we definitely forbid it in the CRM.

The point with Appellations is that some, the simple ones, can directly be represented in the machine, or be outside. The solution to assign a URI in all cases, and then a value or label, does not make the world easier. It is extremely bad performance. We talk here about implementation, not about ontology. You get simply a useless explosion of the graph for a purpose of theoretic purity.

Those claiming confusing should be more precise. Has someone looked at query benchmarks? Has someone looked at graphical representations of RDF graphs. Do they really look better?

So either we either ignore the issue, and write queries that collect names either via P1, URI and a value/label, or via a label, because this is where names appear in RDF, we make no punning, but our queries implement exactly this meaning. So, we are not better, but do as if we wouldn't know.

Or, we describe the fact by punning, have one superproperty for all cases, which we can query, and stop thereby the discussion if labels are allowed or not, and how they relate to appellations. The punning comes in, because the range of the superproperty must comprise the ranges of the subproperties. We can play a bit more, make the punning with a superproperty of P1, and have both P1 and rdfs:label subproperties of it, if this is preferred. The solution I describe is just a logical representation of the situation, not creating a different situation. It just says that names can be complex objects or simple literals.

The problem is, that the RDF literals do have meaning beyond being symbol sequences.

The punning does not introduce the problem. With or without, the queries have to cope with names in either form. This holds similarly for space primitives and large geometry files, for short texts and equivalent files etc.

Opinions?

Best

Martin

                               |  Email: mar...@ics.forth.gr |