On 12/09/2018 14:55, Martin Doerr wrote:
> Dear Richard,
>
> I basically agree with your comments. Specifically however, I indeed
> wanted to say that the official definition of rdfs:label makes it
> exactly a subproperty of P1 (or shortcut of it) in any correct use of
> RDFS. If we want to mix RDFS models, we should have an opinion about
> their compatibility. Otherwise, we would have to regard them as
> alternative that cannot be compared with the CRM.
OK: noted.  My concern is simply that we should not include assertions
which mean that 'CRM RDF' fails to play nicely with other RDF
frameworks.  I would welcome the thoughts of others on this issue.

> I am not happy with adding rdfs:label to instances of Appellation,
> because this would mean it is a name for a name and not the name. I
> would sympathize with George using rdfs:value, if it had the
> respective semantics.
Yes, we're in full agreement on this.

> What we need, to my opinion, is a property of Symbolic Object we may
> call it "has symbolic content" or "has symbolic content inline" or
> anything better, which defines that the symbolic content *is identical
> to* the Literal, *abstracted *to the "level of symbolic specificity"
> that the Literal implies and that conforms to the identity condition
> of the Symbolic Object, i.e., characters of a certain script, or
> whatever. That would make the meaning of the "value" unambiguous.
Again, I'm in complete agreement with this line of thought.  One
decision we should make is whether this property forms part of the
generic CRM framework, or if it is to be an implementation-specific
property which only appears in our RDF implementation of the CRM.  My
instinct is for it to go into the CRM proper: the treatment of Symbolic
Object and its subclasses would I think be made clearer by the addition
of this property.

It's worth bearing in mind that RDF strings have a built-in mechanism
for specifying the language of the string.  This would allow us to
express, for example, a place name in multiple languages by simply
having one 'has symbolic content' property per language, each with an
associated string.

> We may need add another property, such as "is contained in" or so
> pointing to a URL actually holding an instance of its content, again
> abstracted to the "level of symbolic specificity" that the file
> instance implies and that conforms to the identity condition of the
> Symbolic Object.
I think that we would benefit from some use cases which demonstrate the
practical need for this property.  My own instinct is that if we are
really just recording a string value, then it is overkill to assign it a
URL and put it somewhere else.  If it's more than just a string value,
in what way is it more?  Is it an instance of some other class, which we
should be defining (or have already identified)?

My suggestion is that we define the "has symbolic content" property, and
then put our energy into agreeing one or more subproperties of rdf:value
which meet the known recording requirements for cultural heritage
information.  By doing this, I suggest that we will have solved the main
problem which confronts implementors who want to express CRM in RDF.

> Whereas the shortcut interpretation is attractive, it is not exactly
> the same. Using a shortcut, we say that the intermediate node is of
> different, independent nature from the terminal node. Here, we do not
> say "Appellation" is related to something called "Literal". We say
> "this Appellation IS itself what is in this Literal". That may or may
> not be a reason to reject this interpretation.
True.  At least two respondents in this conversation have said that they
prefer the fully-worked-out paths.  Let's sort out an initial strategy
for RDF based on the current CRM; then we can form a view as to whether
further shortcuts are still required.

> We also have to distinguish Appellations and other Symbolic Objects
> which have multiple symbolic forms, i.e. spelling variants, versions
> etc., from those *being one* symbolic form. The rdfs:value has no
> means to express that. I believe we need yet another property "has
> symbolic content variant". In that case, the URI is necessary, to my
> opinion.
There may be a need for such a property; an analogy would be in SKOS,
which has skos:prefLabel (one per language) and skos:altLabel.  However,
I wonder if there is value in being able to express, in an open world
situation, that one symbolic form is the "right" one and the others are
variants.  I would welcome some concrete examples to inform our discussion.

>From your explanations, I am getting a mental picture of an Appellation
which has been the subject of much study, where you want to record, in a
condensed way, all the possible forms which that Appellation might
take.  For example, the sort of entry you might find in an encyclopaedia
or a biographical authority.  I think that a more typical scenario might
be where the 'same' name (e.g. the name of a known individual) occurs in
a number of sources, but varies between them.

Also, I don't see how introducing a URL helps with this problem.  If you
have an Appellation node in your graph, there are various statements
which you can make about it.  If instead you invent a URL to represent
that Appellation, you are in exactly the same situation as before, in
terms of the statements you can make.  In fact, you have taken one step
backwards, because you now have to begin by declaring explicitly that
this node represents an Appellation: <myURL> rdf:type crm:P41_Appellation.

> I think the polymorphism we describe here, well studied in
> object-oriented languages, is in the nature of Appellations. The
> problem for me is, that the the respective KR models have NOT THOUGHT
> of the case that such polymorphisms can occurr. Nevertheless, RDFS is
> tolerant enough to accept the Superproperty statement, but not to
> create a class which is either URI or *inline expanded* object.
>
> This polymorphism occurs EXCLUSIVELY for Symbolic Objects with symbol
> sets a certain machine supports. Another reason not to use rdfs:value,
> because it does not give credit to the fact that only Symbolic Objects
> can have such a "value".
I'm afraid you have lost me here. It would be very helpful to me (and
might encourage others to join in the conversation) if you could post
one or two concrete examples of what you mean.

Best wishes,

Richard