Dear all,

having somehow started this discussion in a hot August evening, let me remind
you that the initial question was:

"When describing biographical information [in an archive] it’s common to state
that some person was fluent in some language, or languages, apart from his/her
native one. Using current archival descriptions standards [ISAD(G) 3.2.2; EAD
<bioghist>] this is represented within a text, usually a very long text string
with information of distinct natures. So far we have been able to decompose the
different elements and represent them adequately as instances of CIDOC-CRM
classes and link them trough the suitable properties.
We cannot link a Person (E21) to a language (E56) and neither use multiple
instantiation, as it has been suggested in other cases
(http://www.cidoc-crm.org/Issue/ID-258-p72-quantification), because Person
(E21) and Linguistic Object (E33) are disjoint.”

I understand these bios consist in a text, and metadata are added to it as
instances of various CIDOC-CRM classes. The question was how to indicate in
such metadata the knowledge of a language as reported in the bio: so not a real
quality of the person, but a fact documented. My suggestion was to use E74
Group. I always prefer to use what is already available and avoid the
unnecessary proliferation of classes and properties, in my opinion there are
already (more than) enough. But in doing so I try to maximize expressiveness,
as otherwise one class (E1 CRM Entity) and one property (P2 has type) would be
sufficient for the whole world: P2 is not a jack-of-all-trades.

Reportedly, the Group solution seemed to please the person who made the
question.

I don’t know if the "language spoken" is an information usually taken into
account in CH; but in this case it was by the archivist, otherwise no question
would have been aaked.

Best regards

Prof. Franco Niccolucci
Director, VAST-LAB
PIN - U. of Florence
Scientific Coordinator
ARIADNEplus - PARTHENOS

Editor-in-Chief
ACM Journal of Computing and Cultural Heritage (JOCCH)

Piazza Ciardi 25
59100 Prato, Italy