From: Crm-sig <crm-sig-boun...@ics.forth.gr> on behalf of Franco Niccolucci via
Crm-sig <crm-sig@ics.forth.gr>
Sent: 23 March 2021 20:35
To: Francesco Beretta
Cc: crm-sig@ics.forth.gr
Subject: Re: [Crm-sig] 511 e-vote

and you may have noticed that I did not vote - I just wanted to stimulate
reflection, and I will not bore you anymore. I will reply Martin directly.

Franco

Prof. Franco Niccolucci
Director, VAST-LAB
PIN - U. of Florence
Scientific Coordinator ARIADNEplus
Technology Director 4CH

Editor-in-Chief
ACM Journal of Computing and Cultural Heritage (JOCCH)

Piazza Ciardi 25
59100 Prato, Italy

> Il giorno 23 mar 2021, alle ore 19:50, Francesco Beretta via Crm-sig
> <crm-sig@ics.forth.gr> ha scritto:
>
> Dear Martin, Christian-Emil, all,
>
> In order not to block a development that seems to be largely consensual, and
> considering that my veto apparently violates the SIG rules, I withdraw it and
> simply vote NO.
>
> If the majority thinks that the problem I have pointed to is not a problem
> and that the inconsistency between previous versions of the CRM and the new
> one in relation to the substance of this class is not an issue, especially
> with respect to monotonicity, I personnally have nothing to add.
>
> With all my best wishes
>
> Francesco
>

> Le 23.03.21 à 19:18, Martin Doerr via Crm-sig a écrit :
>> Dear Francesco,
>>
>> Your concerns well respected, please let me explain a few things:
>>
>> Firstly, this e-vote is not about the reduction of the range of P39 from E1
>> CRM Entity to E18 Physical Thing.
>>
>> The reduction was decided in the last CRM-SIG with good majority after
>> considering all pros and cons.
>>
>> Following our rules, a decision once made by the CRM-SIG can only be undone
>> by raising a new issue, providing new additional arguments.
>>
>> Therefore, the use of the VETO right should not be used to undo an orderly
>> decision taken by the SIG.
>>
>> Nevertheless, let me
>>
>> On 3/23/2021 3:20 PM, Francesco Beretta via Crm-sig wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> as already stated in the SIG meeting, I'm concerned with monotonicity, and
>>> more largely with substantially changing the substance of a class without
>>> changing its identifier: E16 remains E16 but "measuring the nominal
>>> monetary value of a collection of coins" is now excluded.
>>>
>> Firstly,
>>>

>>> So what about all project's using E16 for that ? Not to mention the surface
>>> of Places as geometries and so many projects using E53 Place for
>>> representing a geographical place ? The surface of a place cannot be
>>> measured ?
>>>

>>> Issue 511 starts from a useful consistency check :  "E54 Dimensions are
>>> associated directly with E70 Things using P43 has dimension.  So not every
>>> class can have dimensions, only those that are descendents of E70.
>>> However E16 Measurement's property P39 measured has a range of E1 CRM
>>> Entity, meaning that while (for example) an E53 Place cannot have a
>>> dimension, it can be measured to have a dimension. This seems inconsistent
>>> that an entity that cannot have dimensions can still be measured.
>>> I propose that the range of P39 measured be changed to E70 Thing to resolve
>>> this inconsistency."
>>>
>>> Because of this argument : "My argument about measuring non-physical things
>>> is that it does not constitute an observation process, but an abstraction
>>> from observable things. We can always use Attribute Assignment for such
>>> evaluations. So, we can assign the word count to a text, without using E16