It is true it is linked to the Encounter Event, so, native speaker can find a
better phrase for this

Brs
Athina

October 22, 2021 3:21 PM, "melanie.roche--- via Crm-sig" <crm-sig@ics.forth.gr
(mailto:crm-sig@ics.forth.gr?to=%22melanie.roche---%20via%20Crm-sig%22%20<crm-sig@ics.forth.gr>)>
 wrote:
 Dear George,

I share your concerns. Being unfamiliar with CRMsci in general and O19 in
particular, when I first read your mesage I immediately assumed that the
inverse property pointed to a place. As a non-native English speaker, I agree
that there is a very strong locative flavour to the preposition "at", and it
would be totally counter-intuitive to associate it with an event. I also feel
the same applies (though less strongly) to "in".

If we want to exclude any kind of locative flavour, would the preposition
"during" be appropriate, or would it only work for some events but not all?

Best,

Mélanie.
De : "George Bruseker via Crm-sig" <crm-sig@ics.forth.gr
(mailto:crm-sig@ics.forth.gr)>
A : "crm-sig" <Crm-sig@ics.forth.gr (mailto:Crm-sig@ics.forth.gr)>
Date : 22/10/2021 13:43
Objet : [Crm-sig] CRMSci O19 Property Labels Minor Correction?
Envoyé par : "Crm-sig" <crm-sig-boun...@ics.forth.gr
(mailto:crm-sig-boun...@ics.forth.gr)>
------------------------------------
Dear all,

I am manually correcting some ontology files (horror) and changing the
nomenclature from the previous names for O19 which were:

has found object
(was object found by)

up until version 1.2.6 of the document.

Then it changed, rightly (mostly), to:

encountered object
was object encountered at

which is how it has been ever since.

So, what's my problem? The inverse property label sounds like we named it
poorly? Particularly the preposition 'at' has a locative flavour that to me
would indicate that the object pointed at would be a place. The object pointed
at, however, is of course the encounter event.

I do not remember if we made the choice above on purpose or if this is just a
mistake, but reading it now it strikes me as not the best choice.

I think typically we would use 'by' (which is also problematic since sounds
like it should point to an actor) or maybe 'in' which again sounds slightly
locative, although might work better with an event.

Anyhow, does anyone else see this as a problem or is it just me?

Best,

Crm-sig mailing list
Crm-sig@ics.forth.gr (mailto:Crm-sig@ics.forth.gr)
        Découvrez toute la programmation culturelle de la rentrée à la BnF
(https://www.bnf.fr/fr/agenda)
Pass BnF lecture/culture (https://www.bnf.fr/fr/pass-bnf-lecture-culture) :
bibliothèques, expositions, conférences, concerts en illimité pour 15 € / an –
Acheter en ligne (https://inscriptionbilletterie.bnf.fr/)