Dear Daria,

Thank you for this message! I think we all agree with your comment, but sadly, people seem to forget that more and more, being blinded by the flood of digitally available information.

When I wrote:
"Using an archival identifier for a paper copy, a removable digital medium or a URL for a file on a machine, in all cases the maintainers of the archive must guarantee that the identifier will be uniquely connected with the content. Otherwise, using a URL in a KB is simply inadequate."

I did not want to open this discussion. For 500 years the disciples of Buddha relied on oral tradition by many people as being more reliable than the written form.

Here an anlysis we did many years ago, with an analytical model:

Petraki, M. (2005). Evaluating the reliability of system configurations for long term digital preservation <http://elocus.lib.uoc.gr/dlib/0/f/d/metadata-dlib-2005petraki_mer.tkl>.  (pdf <https://publications.ics.forth.gr/_publications/Petraki.pdf>).

But true preservation needs continuous control if the words are still understood (as in oral tradition), . This effort can be done only to a limited set of things, so we need a selection of what we want to remember. This requires an understanding of our cultures, do we have it?

Isn't it?

Best,

Martin