Great proposal from Max to skip CQ for Eclipse committers. It does not make
sense that I can commit 100 000 lines to PDE but not 1001 to another
project I'm not a committer for.

Max, can you bring your proposal to the board?

Best regards, Lars
Am 20.11.2015 9:00 vorm. schrieb "Max Rydahl Andersen" <[email protected]
>:

> On 19 Nov 2015, at 11:17, Ed Merks wrote:
>
> Recall that this was increased from 250 to 1000 not so long ago.  I wasn't
>> able to push the IP committee beyond that.  People working for an
>> organization that has a corporate representative on the board could ask
>> that representative to raise this issue at a board meeting.  I think that
>> would carry more weight than me personally asking for a further increase.
>>
>
> In this case it looks like a broken notification - good it was found and
> identified.
>
> I can personally vouch that the 1000 line limit have directly taken part
> in why I have stopped contributing to i.e. mylyndoc asciidoc support. Here
> I spent several weekends and eventually months on getting basic
> contributions in that was *obviously* not in any danger of having IP
> conflicts since the code was copied from mylyn.doc itself and 100% written
> by me - still I had to play the game of splitting up contributions and in
> the end just stop doing it. (mylyn.doc could fix this by making me a
> committer or eclipse foundation allow contributions from other eclipse
> committers without CQ review - but that is just examples of more process
> dancing)
>
> Thus this really is an issue and something I raised to IP and Legal team
> several time in the pass - issue is that from their perspective they don't
> get to see the times a committer is asked to split a contribution up; they
> just see the +1000 lines ones and think they are fast to get it though the
> system.
>
> But If I have to wait 2 weeks between contributions for things that are
> not on my critical path I just cannot afford spending time on it -
> especially if I have interest in building on top of these contributions.
> And I'm actually a believer in doing things right at eclipse - but I can
> just imagine those coming from the outside just never show up or just leave
> immediately.
>
> But to the point on raising this to the IP committee and the board.
>
> If you get caught in similar dead or live-locks in the IP system or see
> another attempt on having to split up otherwise perfect valid
> contributions, please consider forwarding me info personally (
> [email protected]).
>
> I would like to be able to show to IP committee and board how often this
> is actually hurting us - or on the flip side, be convinced that is not
> actually that big an issue.
>
> Thanks,
> /max
>
>
>>
>> On 19/11/2015 11:00 AM, Ed Willink wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Presumably you put tests in a separate plugin, so splitting off the
>>> tests as a separate contribution gets you twice the limit with minimal
>>> effort.
>>>
>>> Perhaps a 10000 line limit might be appropriate for non-deliverable code
>>> such as tests and build tools.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>>  Ed Willink
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On 19/11/2015 09:49, Sievers, Jan wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> in the course of
>>>>
>>>> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=477328
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> we had a contribution that slightly exceeded 1000 lines and thus needed
>>>> a CQ.
>>>> It took about one month to review it.
>>>>
>>>> I am sure the legal team does its very best to keep up with the load,
>>>> so the following is in no way a criticism of the
>>>> people who actually do the legal review.
>>>>
>>>> Rather take it as food for thought to whoever set up this rule.
>>>>
>>>> IMHO the 1000 line rule is effectively setting the wrong incentives for
>>>> a thriving opensource project.
>>>>
>>>> Here is why I think so:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> The most diligent contributors add a lot of tests to their patch to
>>>> prove it works.
>>>> This is a good thing and we actively encourage contributors to
>>>> thoroughly test.
>>>> Test code can easily outweigh productive code being tested in terms of
>>>> LOC.
>>>> However this means the most diligent contributors, i.e. the ones you
>>>> want to attract, are more likely to hit the 1000 line limit.
>>>> Instead of thanking them for their hard work, we effectively punish
>>>> them with an extra month or more wait time before their patch can be 
>>>> merged.
>>>> Apart from that, the 1000 line limit seems arbitrary to me because
>>>> technically you can split up any commit into any number
>>>> of smaller commits below the 1000 line limit.
>>>>
>>>> Best Regards,
>>>> Jan
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> cross-project-issues-dev mailing list
>>>> [email protected]
>>>> To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe
>>>> from this list, visit
>>>> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cross-project-issues-dev
>>>>
>>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> cross-project-issues-dev mailing list
>>> [email protected]
>>> To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe
>>> from this list, visit
>>> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cross-project-issues-dev
>>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> cross-project-issues-dev mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe
>> from this list, visit
>> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cross-project-issues-dev
>>
>
>
> /max
> http://about.me/maxandersen
> _______________________________________________
> cross-project-issues-dev mailing list
> [email protected]
> To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe
> from this list, visit
> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cross-project-issues-dev
>
_______________________________________________
cross-project-issues-dev mailing list
[email protected]
To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe from 
this list, visit
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cross-project-issues-dev

Reply via email to