See https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=382798

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 11:43 AM, Lars Vogel <[email protected]> wrote:

> Great proposal from Max to skip CQ for Eclipse committers. It does not
> make sense that I can commit 100 000 lines to PDE but not 1001 to another
> project I'm not a committer for.
>
> Max, can you bring your proposal to the board?
>
> Best regards, Lars
> Am 20.11.2015 9:00 vorm. schrieb "Max Rydahl Andersen" <
> [email protected]>:
>
>> On 19 Nov 2015, at 11:17, Ed Merks wrote:
>>
>> Recall that this was increased from 250 to 1000 not so long ago.  I
>>> wasn't able to push the IP committee beyond that.  People working for an
>>> organization that has a corporate representative on the board could ask
>>> that representative to raise this issue at a board meeting.  I think that
>>> would carry more weight than me personally asking for a further increase.
>>>
>>
>> In this case it looks like a broken notification - good it was found and
>> identified.
>>
>> I can personally vouch that the 1000 line limit have directly taken part
>> in why I have stopped contributing to i.e. mylyndoc asciidoc support. Here
>> I spent several weekends and eventually months on getting basic
>> contributions in that was *obviously* not in any danger of having IP
>> conflicts since the code was copied from mylyn.doc itself and 100% written
>> by me - still I had to play the game of splitting up contributions and in
>> the end just stop doing it. (mylyn.doc could fix this by making me a
>> committer or eclipse foundation allow contributions from other eclipse
>> committers without CQ review - but that is just examples of more process
>> dancing)
>>
>> Thus this really is an issue and something I raised to IP and Legal team
>> several time in the pass - issue is that from their perspective they don't
>> get to see the times a committer is asked to split a contribution up; they
>> just see the +1000 lines ones and think they are fast to get it though the
>> system.
>>
>> But If I have to wait 2 weeks between contributions for things that are
>> not on my critical path I just cannot afford spending time on it -
>> especially if I have interest in building on top of these contributions.
>> And I'm actually a believer in doing things right at eclipse - but I can
>> just imagine those coming from the outside just never show up or just leave
>> immediately.
>>
>> But to the point on raising this to the IP committee and the board.
>>
>> If you get caught in similar dead or live-locks in the IP system or see
>> another attempt on having to split up otherwise perfect valid
>> contributions, please consider forwarding me info personally (
>> [email protected]).
>>
>> I would like to be able to show to IP committee and board how often this
>> is actually hurting us - or on the flip side, be convinced that is not
>> actually that big an issue.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> /max
>>
>>
>>>
>>> On 19/11/2015 11:00 AM, Ed Willink wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi
>>>>
>>>> Presumably you put tests in a separate plugin, so splitting off the
>>>> tests as a separate contribution gets you twice the limit with minimal
>>>> effort.
>>>>
>>>> Perhaps a 10000 line limit might be appropriate for non-deliverable
>>>> code such as tests and build tools.
>>>>
>>>> Regards
>>>>
>>>>  Ed Willink
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 19/11/2015 09:49, Sievers, Jan wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> in the course of
>>>>>
>>>>> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=477328
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> we had a contribution that slightly exceeded 1000 lines and thus
>>>>> needed a CQ.
>>>>> It took about one month to review it.
>>>>>
>>>>> I am sure the legal team does its very best to keep up with the load,
>>>>> so the following is in no way a criticism of the
>>>>> people who actually do the legal review.
>>>>>
>>>>> Rather take it as food for thought to whoever set up this rule.
>>>>>
>>>>> IMHO the 1000 line rule is effectively setting the wrong incentives
>>>>> for a thriving opensource project.
>>>>>
>>>>> Here is why I think so:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> The most diligent contributors add a lot of tests to their patch to
>>>>> prove it works.
>>>>> This is a good thing and we actively encourage contributors to
>>>>> thoroughly test.
>>>>> Test code can easily outweigh productive code being tested in terms of
>>>>> LOC.
>>>>> However this means the most diligent contributors, i.e. the ones you
>>>>> want to attract, are more likely to hit the 1000 line limit.
>>>>> Instead of thanking them for their hard work, we effectively punish
>>>>> them with an extra month or more wait time before their patch can be 
>>>>> merged.
>>>>> Apart from that, the 1000 line limit seems arbitrary to me because
>>>>> technically you can split up any commit into any number
>>>>> of smaller commits below the 1000 line limit.
>>>>>
>>>>> Best Regards,
>>>>> Jan
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> cross-project-issues-dev mailing list
>>>>> [email protected]
>>>>> To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or
>>>>> unsubscribe from this list, visit
>>>>> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cross-project-issues-dev
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> cross-project-issues-dev mailing list
>>>> [email protected]
>>>> To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe
>>>> from this list, visit
>>>> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cross-project-issues-dev
>>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> cross-project-issues-dev mailing list
>>> [email protected]
>>> To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe
>>> from this list, visit
>>> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cross-project-issues-dev
>>>
>>
>>
>> /max
>> http://about.me/maxandersen
>> _______________________________________________
>> cross-project-issues-dev mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe
>> from this list, visit
>> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cross-project-issues-dev
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> cross-project-issues-dev mailing list
> [email protected]
> To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe
> from this list, visit
> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cross-project-issues-dev
>



-- 
"Have you tried turning it off and on again" - The IT Crowd
And if that fails, then http://goo.gl/tnBgH5
_______________________________________________
cross-project-issues-dev mailing list
[email protected]
To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe from 
this list, visit
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cross-project-issues-dev

Reply via email to