From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: my two cents

> The new Wassenar abomination has to be the end of this, one way or
> another.

Easy to say, but arrangments for the obliteration of cryptography
controls might be harder to manage. :)  I suspect more and more of
us will be driven underground before any real relaxation of controls
is seen and implemented.

> Supposedly, the United States is a democracy. Supposedly, elected
> officials are supposed to respond to the desires of the electorate,
> not the desires of the National Security Agency.

What's sickening, is that the fucking US policies are dragging the rest
of us "civilized" contries down.  I kinda like my country, I like where
I live, I don't want to move.  Am I going to have a choice if I want to
keep my freedom to develop and share information?

I'm not familiar with US law, but the smashing of the CDA was fun to
watch, perhaps the global cryptography community can continue to
strongly and vocally support US civil liberty organizations in order
to fight this garbage in the court systems.  It's disgusting, but
apparently most other countries have no backbone of our own and we're
subject to American desires.  :(  So American desires need to be
changed.

^D