Bill C-54 is not law yet, but it is well on its way to be so.

Bill C-54 is available as amended from the Parlimentary web site.
http://www.parl.gc.ca/36/1/parlbus/chambus/house/bills/government/C-54/C-54_2/C-54_cover-E.html

Part 1 is the private sector privacy laws. Basicly these should satisfy
the EU Data Privacy Law requirements.

Part 2 is what I am interested in here. It is the "electronic documents"
section. While legalise can make my eyes glaze over, what I get from this
section is that the laws are not technology specific which is a good
thing. Particulars of the technologies may be regulated by the Treasuary
Board, as to what is a "secure electronic signature." Since Canada's
Cryptography Policy does not include private sector key escrow with
government, I believe we shouldn't expect this to be tied to recongition
of a valid "secure electronic signature."

The only thing that has raised my concerns was the presumption of
integrity
<http://www.parl.gc.ca/36/1/parlbus/chambus/house/bills/government/C-54/C-54_2/90052b-3E.html#24>

31.3 For the purposes of subsection 31.2(1), in the absence of
evidence to the contrary, the integrity of an electronic
documents system by or in which an electronic document is
recorded or stored is proven

(a) by evidence capable of supporting a finding that at all
material times the computer system or other similar
device used by the electronic documents system was
operating properly or, if it was not, the fact of its not
operating properly did not affect the integrity of the
electronic document and there are no other reasonable
grounds to doubt the integrity of the electronic
documents system;

(b) if it is established that the electronic document was
recorded or stored by a party who is adverse in interest
to the party seeking to introduce it; or

(c) if it is established that the electronic document was
recorded or stored in the usual and ordinary course of
business by a person who is not a party and who did not
record or store it under the control of the party seeking
to introduce it.

------

This strikes me as having a large amount of faith. If an unauthorized user
submits a document to the Queen's Printers for example, saying that
Parliment passed and Royal Asset has been granted for the federal
government to pay me one million dollars every year. If the computers
involved appeared to be working "correctly," this would be considered law.

Also "printouts" are assumed correct unless you can prove otherwise. So if
I whip up a "log file" in Word Perfect, it's valid unless there is
stronger evidence to contradict it.

That's my non-legal look at C-54, and its "secure electronic signatures."

--
M Taylor   mctaylor@  /  privacy.nb.ca