On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Trei, Peter wrote:
> Nor am I. In fact, I can't help but wonder
> if this is a case where computers (which are
> effectively black boxes which users are asked
> to trust) are the wrong approach.

Seeing that computers may not be the answer I
here propose a protocol which need be can be
implemented without computer, but which still
can be aided by one.

1) n Persons bring along 1 strip of paper each
   containing a random string of text, such as:
   "My grandmas wooden leg was once invaded
    by a band of woodpeckers".

2) As they convene the strips are laid face down
   on a table. ( Persons name may be written on back )
   Every person can choose when and where he will place
   his strip. ( They are laid down in an ordered list. )

3) The strings are then concatinated in the order
   found on the table. This superstring is then
   used to key a deck of card according to Bruce
   Schneiers solitaire keying algorithm.
   (http://www.counterpane.com/solitaire.html)

( The last step may be aided by a computer )

Assuming that Solitaires keying produces a
sufficiently random shuffle, the above
process should be adequate. It is both easy
to audit and hard to cheat.

  frank

This sentence is unique in this respect; it can safely
be attributed to my employer, Funcom Oslo AS.
E3D2BCADBEF8C82F A5891D2B6730EA1B PGPmail preferred, finger for key
There is no place like N59 50.558' E010 50.870'. (WGS84)