At 9:42 AM -0700 6/29/99, Russell Nelson wrote:
>So you've got a chicken-and-egg problem -- you have to have yet
>another set of public keys for your stego crypto algorithm.

It seems to me you could use an existing public key infrastructure, e.g.
PGP, but build a different message format with the stego requirements in
mind.  Off the top of my head (using PGP 2.6):

(size, data)
(256, key) - RSA encrypted key padded with pseudo-random padding to
             256 bytes. (The size of the RSA key will determine the
             size of the encrypted session key, and the receiver knows
             the size of the RSA key.)
(8, IV)    - The (random) initialization vector
(n, data)  - The data encrypted with 3DES in CBC mode + whatever padding
             scheme suits your fancy.  I like having the first 8 byes
             of encrypted data being the length of the data.
(m, pad)   - Pseudo-random padding to fill out the stego block.

Bill Frantz | The availability and use of secure encryption may         |
Periwinkle  | offer an opportunity to reclaim some portion of           |
Consulting  | the privacy we have lost. - B. FLETCHER, Circuit Judge    |