Andreas Bogk wrote:

> Udhay Shankar N <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > For me, the highlight of the JavaOne Developer Conference in San
> > Francisco last March was Dallas Semiconductor's iButton with Java -- aka
> > the Java Ring, a wearable computer that ran Java. It allegedly had a
> > high-performance encryption engine, an exciting prospect indeed, until I
> > discovered that the encryption unit wasn't accessible on the ring.
>
> Funny. I'm holding in my hands a version of the Java ring that _does_
> RSA (I've checked, up to 1024 bit key length). Funny because I'm in
> Germany and Dallas legally exported one to me.
>
> I'm wondering what _that_ means. Can you say backdoor?

I checked this recently. Dallas have a licence to export them. This is
no surprise, because 1024 bit RSA is now exportable.

The thing that has surprised people is that Dallas until recently did
not give access to the crypto engine from Java. This has recently
changed. I think they forgot to announce it, which is weird, but there
you are.

Now, all I need is a ring and some time to get iBLab talking to it ...
or is someone going to volunteer for that?

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html