NIST has just announced that the finalists in the Advanced Encryption
Standard competition are MARS, RC6, Rijndael, Serpent and Twofish.
That makes three US algorithms, one Belgian, and one which I developed
in collaboration with colleagues in Israel and Norway.

It may be of interest that, under the export controls on intangibles
which the DTI pushed in their recent White Paper and which they are
now trying to have adopted as an EU regulation, I would have needed a
personal export licence from the DTI in order to do this work. (Nigel
has confirmed this.)

It seems somewhat unlikely that a licence would have been granted.
Arms exporters complain to me that DTI officials are notorious for
blocking licences to punish them for such `offences' as complaining
about the licensing process. So perhaps I would have not done the
work; perhaps I'd have defied the law and now be involved in a huge
test case in the European Court; perhaps I'd have emigrated; perhaps
we'd just not do research in collaboration with foreigners. Who knows?

Ross

The AES announcement is at:

        http://csrc.nist.gov/encryption/aes/aes_home.htm

The University of Cambridge press release is at:

        http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/serpentpr.html

The Serpent home page is at:

        http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/serpent.html