"Steven M. Bellovin" wrote:

> It's clearly not automatic, but I suspect it would work....

User behaviour is the weak point here--while the browsers WILL notify
  you that the cert is signed by a CA you don't recognize, they also
  give you the option of accepting the cert, which most users will just
  blindly accept.  Netscape gives you a couple of options here--accept
  the site cert for this session only, or accept it forever; I expect lots
  of users will choose "forever", since that's simpler.

Marcus Leech                             Mail:   Dept 8M70, MS 012, FITZ
Systems Security Architect               Phone: (ESN) 393-9145  +1 613 763 9145
Security and Internet Solutions          Fax:   (ESN) 395-1407  +1 613 765 1407
Nortel Networks                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-----------------Expressed opinions are my own, not my employer's------