The Canadian Dep't of Foreign Affairs & International Trade (DFAIT) has an export law
page at:

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/~eicb/notices/ser113-e.htm

It includes this text:

| PROPOSED EXPORT CONTROL LIST CHANGES:
|
|   12. The Wassenaar ... States agreed to ... a Cryptography Note
|       applicable to both hardware and software goods that meet all
|       of the following:
|
|     (a) generally available ... at retail ...
|     (b) the cryptographic functionality cannot easily be changed by the user;
|     (c) designed for installation by the user ...
|     (d) does not contain a symmetric algorithm employing a key length exceeding 64
|bits; and
|     (e) when necessary, details ... are accessible ... to the appropriate authority
|
|   13. In addition to the technical changes, the Wassenaar ... States agreed that the
|       controls on Mass Market goods as defined in sub-paragraph 12 (d) above will
|remain in
|       effect for two years and that the renewal of such controls for a successive
|period will
|       require the unanimous consent of the Wassenaar ... States.

I cannot find anything like the last paragraph on the Wassenaar secretariat site. Can
anyone
here confirm that this was actually agreed to?

If I read it right, the 64-bit limit should be dead in two years. I cannot see
Germany, or
other countries reportedley victimized by Echelon, consenting to a continuation.

What can we do in the remaining year-and-a-half or so to ensure consent is nowhere near
unanimous?