Anonymous says, (btw, I really wonder what's the point of having a technical
discussion incognito... I hope this is not for a really good/bad reason such as
you are living in some dark country),

   > Hmmm... sounds like you are saying that if you had an anonymous payment
   > system you could use it to buy "checks" in your non-anonymous system.
   > But if you already had the ability to make anonymous payments, why bother
   > with your system?  I can go to the bank and buy a cashier's check for
   > cash, then make a payment with it, but I could just as easily have paid
   > with cash directly.

There are two reasons. First, as you say below, there is simply the reality of
there being multiple systems. Second, and more essential, there are some
important advantages e.g. in efficiency to non-anonymous payment mechanisms.
BTW, non-anonymous here does not necessarily mean `identity-based`, but rather,
payment mechanism which do not offer complete, secure anonymity. The problem is
of course that if such non-anonymous payment mechanisms are common, it may
become difficult to convince merchants to support also an anonymous payment
mechanism (with relatively few customers - assuming most customers will not be
willing to `pay` for the anonymity). Furthermore customers choosing the
anonymous mechanism may attract attention to themselves (I guess the use of
`anonymous` for e-mail is a good example!). So I think my simple hybrid proposal
makes sense.

   > Of course in practice it is helpful to have money changers who can
   > convert between different payment systems, since there are so many
   > competing proposals in the world.

Agreed.

   > > We actually will have the necessary APIs in merchant and buyer to allow
   > > integration of such an anonymous payment mechanism with the next release
   > > of IBM Micro Payment (1.3, next month). We may later on implement this
   > > ourselves if customers are interested, but frankly I prefer to see others
   > > implementing it; for one reason, as you know, there are multiple patents
   > > regarding anonymous payments, so it will be a pain to do this (in IBM).

   > http://www.ecoin.net/mmdh is a project based on Wagner blinding which
   > is thought to escape patent protection.  Perhaps this would be a good
   > starting point for a blind payment system.  Are your APIs going to
   > be public?

Thanks for the pointer. Of course, as long as the anonymity is provided by
somebody else,  I don't need even to worry about the patents... so much the
better...

And yes, of course we're going to publish our APIs. We actually published also
the APIs for version 1.2 (see the manuals in our site) but then, version 1.3 is
almost a complete re-write of the system and in particular we've dramatically
improved the APIs - so better wait for them. We hope to be able to publish them
in time for the IETF BOF on Micro Payments (BTW I'm still looking for
presentations and interest in this event - let me know if you want to present,
or event just confirm to me that there is interest in the BOF and in at least us
proposing our protocols). Discussions of the BOF are in [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Best Regards,
Amir Herzberg
Manager, E-Business and Security Technologies
IBM Research - Haifa Lab (Tel Aviv Office)
http://www.hrl.il.ibm.com
New e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
New Lotus notes mail: amir herzberg/haifa/ibm@IBMIL

Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 24/09/99 00:44:47

Please respond to Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>