On Mon, 27 Sep 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> One small final comment:  physical cash is not really anonymous (bills have
> serial numbers, and certainly coins may contain secret marks. Why?

I believe at least part of the reason is to make heists difficult - Places
which have loads of nice new bills almost always have them with sequential
serial numbers. There have been many cases of a huge heist getting pulled
off successfully and then the robbers were unable to dispose of the cash
they got because it was too easy to trace.

-Bram