This deserves further explanation. In order to begin an SSL session, the
server must present its public key and its site certificate to the client.
If the certificate has been signed by a trusted key (popular browsers ship
with many keys, held by CA's, pre-marked as trusted in the local key
database), it will be accepted if the domain name in the certificate
matches the domain name which presents the key. Some browsers support
"wildcard certs" which can be used for every machine in a domain - e.g.,
"www1.foobar.com", "www2.foobar.com", and so forth; while others want a
strict match on the fully qualified domain name.

If the server does not present a public key with a certificate signed by a
pre-trusted signer, the user will be prevented from visiting the site, or
will be able to click through a series of dialog boxes warning them that
they're accepting a certificate signed by a previously unknown signer,
depending on the browser and its configuration.

For the attack described earlier to succeed, one of two conditions must be
met - the hijacking site must get a certificate (which matches a
public/private keypair that it holds) signed by a pretrusted key, or the
user must agree to accept the certificate even though it's signed by an
unfamiliar signer.

How would a hijacking site get such a key? They could pay a CA for it,
perhaps by tricking the CA into issuing the key, or by modifying the local
software to insert their own key into the list of trusted keys. (It's
possible that browser publishers are using cryptographic techniques to make
the latter more difficult, but I have no idea whether they do or not.)

Whether or not the hijacker can succeed in tricking a CA into issuing a
cert wrongfully is a complicated question - it's probably (hopefully?) hard
to reach that goal if the domain name requested is a well-known one. If a
small business called "Mom's Diner" requests a key from CA 1 for
momsdiner.com, and a hijacker requests momsdiner.com from CA 2, it's
possible that CA 2 won't notice the overlap, or won't care, particularly
where both parties can reasonably justify their use of the name "Mom's
Diner", which isn't hard. Given the geographic diversity of CA's, it's
probably not hard to get a distant CA to issue a certificate that a local
CA would just laugh at.

Another attack might involve taking advantage of display versus core
abstraction - redirect the user to a site where the holder has requested a
certificate for their own domain name, so the underlying SSL code won't
sqwawk about a domain name/certificate mismatch, but use Javascript or
ActiveX to rewrite the portion of the display which indicates to the user
what site they're visiting. This way, the browser believes it's connecting
to "evilhijacker.com", gets a cert for "evilhijacker.com", and cheerfully
begins an SSL connection; but the user looking at the screen thinks they're
still talking to "bigcorp.com", sees the unbroken blue key, and cheerfully
hands over their credit card.

Contemporary browsers include multiple means of delivering the
site/certificate information, making it harder to perform this latter
attack, but they only work if people use them, and I don't think that most
people do.

Having said that, however, I think the first article was somewhat
irresponsible and underinformed, both with respect to SSL being "broken",
and with respect to there being no replacement in place. SSL is cheerfully
providing a secure connection, given all of the information available to it
- it's the wider environment (humans and DNS) that are allowing themselves
to be tricked. TLS (a replacement for SSL) has been available for over a
year now - while it's got its own problems (where it's incomplete, not
where it's insecure), it's old news by now, too.