At 07:35 PM 10/6/99 -0400, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>This is a problem with SSL 2.0 first discovered by Simon Spero then at
>EIT.
>It was fixed in SSL 3.0, that must be almost three years ago.

That's not the big issue here.  Server-spoofing is not fully prevented
by any version of SSL.  The problem is in how the typical user interacts
with the system.

There are many ways the user can be tricked by what he sees into
believing he is interacting with a trustworthy familiar site, when in
fact the site is a malicious imposter or site-in-the-middle.  Changing
the DNS binding is certainly not the only way to do it.

>The server certificate now binds the public key to a specific Web server
>address.
>
>               Phill

The point is that none of this binding matters if the user doesn't know
if the Web server address is correct.  SSL alone just can't solve this
problem.

While you may not consider this to be "a problem with SSL", many people have
unrealistic expectations of what SSL or any similar cert-based protocol can
and cannot do.

David P. Jablon
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.IntegritySciences.com