Wiping is not enough in some cases. With magnetical proximal probe
microscopy one can read residual magnetisation even in low-level
formatted disks.

First wiping with ones and zeroes and then overwriting several times
with (pseudo)random sequences offers better protection.

The optimal solution would seem to use cryptographical files systems,
and enough RAM not to use a swap file/partition.

Since modern RAM supposedly almost operates in the nonvolatile
ferroelectric regime (the next generation of RAM), true paranoids
would probably want ot apply above wiping technique to RAM at each
shutdown.