> The only reason that justifies the existence of the player keys in the
> CSS scheme is control of the DVD consortium over the licensees: they
> can always threaten to revoke the player key of a given licensee if
> that licensee doesn't play by the rules (Macrovision, Region Codes,
> etc.).
>
> Now that the scheme has been published and broken, it's possible for
> anybody (and that distinctly includes the Linux folks) to build a DVD
> player. *That's* what they were afraid of. Piracy has been possible
> before, and they didn't care.

This is a _really_ good point.  It hadn't occurred to me before that a
snapshot of a DVD would work just as well as the original, given a
player with the appropriate key.   I'm me-tooing this because I think
the point you've made here deserves to have been at the top of your
article, not somewhere in the middle!   :')

                               _MelloN_