> One of the reasons they decided to do the switch is that newer
> technologies ensure that the item in front of the scanner is in fact
> alive :)

All that this really means is that now the thing the criminal needs to
bring to the scanner is somewhat larger.  It might actually *increase*
the risk to the person whose biometrics are being used, because now
there is a large, potentially dangerous person that you have to bring
with you who must remain attached to the authentication device, and
once you've gotten through the gate, this person's continued existance
becomes a liability.  So instead of this person losing a limb, they
lose their life.

Of course, I suppose some crypto users might say "right, so what's
your point?"  :'}

                               _MelloN_