> Er, how does the criminal's calculation of this change from
> before?  A guy who's going to (pardon the image) chop off
> your hand to get past the hand-scanner is just not likely to
> have many qualms about shooting you first, to keep you from
> squirming or making too much noise.

True enough, but I think your chances of being shot increase if your
hand has to be alive to be used in the scanner.   It's kind of a
ridiculous point, though - my personal preference would be to just
remember a numeric code, and I would probably refuse to work for
somebody who wanted to use my body in this way.

                               _MelloN_