At 05:51 PM 2/4/01 -0500, William Allen Simpson wrote:

>David Honig wrote:
>>
>> If you give people a paper receipt with their votes on it
>> (as WAS's scheme mentions) then their votes can be bought or blackmailed.
>
>I'm unaware of how that interpretation might have arisen?  I don't see
>anything in the proposed text that calls for a receipt to be given to
>any voter, let alone a copy of their votes?

>From "Ballot Proposal" version 1.3

10 B DISPLAY
    (5) Election software shall print the selected choices on a fixed
        visible medium (such as paper), and shall require the voter to
        affirm those choices prior to electronic registration of the
        completed ballot.

I took this to mean that "what the machine thinks the voter chose
is printed on paper" (for feedback/trust reasons).   Am I totally off?

I wasn't clear on the architecture you have in mind ---I eventually
figured out that you're requiring an online system with local and
central real time reporting (mirroring) of votes.

(Other architectures include standalone or LAN-only machines acting only as
better voting-acquisition-machines; or a pure central server scheme like
home internet voting.)

"What company did you say you were from, Mr. Hewlett?"
---Walt Disney to Bill Hewlett eetimes 22.01.01 p 32